The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/new-york-style-thin-crust-pizza-30441420.aspx

Subject:  New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date:  12/19/2012  11:35 AM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  54799 of 56409

I finally caught a re-air of America's Test Kitchen (the episode which started my quest for the cheese used) and jotted down the recipe as best I could. The dough part is mostly irrelevant to me since I am gluten-free, but the sauce and cheese part still applies. The cheese(s) used were parmasan and Dragone whole milk mozzarella

New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza

Dough:

16 1/2 oz bread flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp rapid rise or instant yeast
1 1/3 c. ice water

Process and let sit 10 minutes for water to absorb.

Add:

1 1/2 tsp salt
1 TB vegetable oil

Knead 1 minute on oiled surface. Place in oiled bowl, cover with sprayed saran wrap and refrigerate 24 hrs (up to 3 days). Divide in half. place on sprayed sheet cover with sprayed plastic wrap let stand at room temp 1 hr.

No-Cook Sauce:

1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, well-drained
1 TB olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red wine vinegar (Pompeian was one of the brands that got good reviews during the show)

Process and refrigerate at least 1 hr.

Heat Pizza Stone in oven on top rack 1 hr.

Press dough into two 13 " circles.

In following order, top each circle with:

1/2 c. sauce
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1 c. whole milk mozzarella

Bake on pizza stone (on top rack of oven) 10-12 minutes.

Note: I didn't catch the oven temperature. Here is a direct link to the recipe video if anyone is interested:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=...

Also noteworthy is that they were trying to duplicate Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn, NY and I believe the owner mentioned fresh mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano as the cheeses he used. I also saw him sprinkling a generous handful of what looked like the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top just before serving.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us