The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  TaxCut 2011 qual. div. mistake Date:  12/19/2012  11:01 PM
Author:  WendyBG Number:  117172 of 131761

I have used TaxCut (now H&R Block At Home) software for several years.

A Motley Fool member pointed out that this software mistakenly adds in qualified dividends as ordinary income. I looked at my 2011 Form 1040 and sure enough! He is right!

I overpaid the 2011 Federal Income tax based on this mistake. I still haven't checked previous years.

How can I re-submit my 2011 income tax with a recalculated income? What is the correct way to recalculate Form 1040 Line 22 (total income) which currently adds in the Ordinary Dividends but simply ignores Qualified Dividends?

I have the same brand of tax software for 2012, so whatever I do for 2011 will also apply to 2012.

Then I have to check previous years <holding head in hands>.

Thank you!
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us