The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Registered Tax Return Preparer? Date:  12/21/2012  4:57 PM
Author:  rosewine Number:  117197 of 128041

Realistically, you are too late for the 2013 tax season (2012 taxes). You might consider taking a tax class and working a season for one of the national firms to see if it really is something you want to do.

Also, remember that you will need software for prior years as well as the current tax season. I've been seeing a lot of people coming in this fall with letters from the IRS and the state requesting multiple year back tax returns that haven't been filed.

I ended up taking the income tax course through Block, passed the Oregon Tax Preparer board exam and planned to work for them for two years until I could take the Oregon Tax Consultant exam which would allow me to be self employed. After working there a couple seasons, I decided that I really like doing taxes, but didn't want the hassle of self employment. I'm happy to have them provide the space, the software, the scheduling, the clerical support and the E&O insurance.

Fifteen hours of continuing education is pretty easy to get. Oregon requires licensed tax preparers to get 30 hours and I usually end up with 20 or more hours than I need. I'm somewhere around 73 hours for 2012 right now.

Rose, EA, LTC
who thinks taxes are fun. Especially when they are someone else's.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us