The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Miscellaneous / Climate Change

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/wadigo-ltigt-maybe-someone-is-fanally-sic-30460397.aspx

Subject:  Re: Scientists Allay Fears around Jellyfish Boom Date:  1/1/2013  4:31 PM
Author:  LorenCobb Number:  40086 of 87872

Wadigo: <I/> Maybe someone is fanally [sic] wiping the brown off their nose and earning their grant money honestly.

Hmmm. Are you trying to insult me personally, or just the entire class of research scientists?

Are you aware that research grants in the sciences are awarded by juries composed of other scientists? It is hard to brown-nose an ad hod committee of your peers -- have you ever tried? For their part, agency administrators have no say in the scoring of applications. Only the few top scoring applications are funded.

An NSF grant in atmospheric sciences ordinarily cannot pay more than two months of an academic summer salary per year, by NSF policy. My current grant pays only one month per year, for two years. Nobody gets rich on these things.

Loren
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us