The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Paying Back Student Loans

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltquotegtwhy-is-this-not-counted-as-part-of-30493252.aspx

Subject:  Re: At a crossroad.... Date:  1/18/2013  1:46 PM
Author:  kmart00 Number:  4804 of 4848

<quote>Why is this not counted as part of your emergency fund? </quote>

I was considering the CDs part of my car savings.... As I mentioned, I could just plan on leasing again next year, and that would be fine (likely need $1-2k for fees, etc, instead of $15-20k for a new/preowned car--I wont buy used cars in NYC...that is another topic *grin*)

The only fly in the ointment about the BT method (I used that to get out of CC debt about 10 years ago--well versed in this!) is how it would reflect on my credit score.... Not sure I want to take that hit...

I should note that my e-fund, even at 15k, would likely cover at most 3 months of expenses (living in NYC is pricey)... Also, I do not use the CC with the BT offer

These are all great suggestions... Prepaying the student loan seems the most attractive so far.

Good to know that, thus far, it seems that my assessment of the situation seems to be on point... No easy or 'right' thing to do.

Curious... No one has commented on the option of ratcheting back on my 401k.... Should I take silence on this point as it being a bad idea?
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us