The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-must-not-be-one-of-the-best-and-brightest-at-30505119.aspx

Subject:  Re: Honda Can Always Do Better Date:  1/24/2013  11:13 PM
Author:  Milligram46 Number:  11463 of 11875

I must not be one of the best and brightest - at least as far as advertising is concerned.

I thought the ad for the 2013 Civic didn't have enough zombies.

Frankly, neither ad does anything for me. Neither of them tell me anything about the car, other than the fact that it exists. I thought they were both useless.

But I'm kind of weird that way. Advertising has very little impact on me.

--Peter

It's purpose wasn't speeds and feeds, which most car buyers don't care about. It is aspirational and inspirational. We have a commitment to quality and improvement, this is the best Honda Civic we've ever made.

One of the hardest things, and I would describe more as a soft skill, is to leave your demographic in your brain, and look at something through the eyes of the average slob who doesn't even know where the dipstick is, and never opens their owner's manual. If the imagery at the beginning (too long if I were making the calls) did not speak to you, or didn't get you to watch - you're probably I'll bet not in the target demographic (I don't work at Honda so I don't know what it is specifically).

The cubicle zombie ad is entertaining, but it sends an awful message about the buyer. No one wants to be perceived as a single loser cubicle slave, yet that is what the previous ad told the buyer. Yikes!!!
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us