The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: IRA Recharacterization/Distribution? Date:  2/4/2013  8:27 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117615 of 132803

Late last year I mistakenly made a deposit to a regular IRA instead of my Roth.

I conducted a recharacterization and the money was moved from the regular IRA to the Roth..

I received a 1099-R for a distribution of those funds from the regular IRA.

Is this to be expected?

If so, how do I account for this on my tax forms?

See Example 2 on page 4 of the instructions for Form 8606. The only number that winds up on your return is the 1099-R amount on line 15a.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us