The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Miscellaneous / Climate Change

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gtgtthe-lowest-hanging-fruit-for-reducing-gas-30526774.aspx

Subject:  Re: Electric car monies Date:  2/5/2013  8:30 PM
Author:  mschmit Number:  40670 of 90610

>>The lowest hanging fruit for reducing gas consumption on transportation is for short trips with an EV.

I don't think that's right. The lowest hanging fruit is the replacement of large inefficient vehicles with smaller more efficient conventional vehicles ...

Yes, you are right...I meant to say, in context, that the low hanging fruit for EVs is...(what I said)...

Too many people want EVs to "immediately" be capable of 400 miles per charge, charge in 15 minutes, drive across water without getting wet, leap tall buildings, ...

There will be a lot of small incremental improvements over the next decade or two. Maybe even a couple of bigger breakthroughs. But, my point is, that with the technology we have today we can get a reasonable car that is a "second" car for a family and handle lots of commutes or errands. Or you can get a PHEV that gets a big percentage of miles in EV and uses gas for longer trips.

Mike
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us