The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Miscellaneous / Climate Change

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/but-my-point-is-that-with-the-technology-we-30526827.aspx

Subject:  Re: Electric car monies Date:  2/5/2013  9:06 PM
Author:  albaby1 Number:  40674 of 90628

But, my point is, that with the technology we have today we can get a reasonable car that is a "second" car for a family and handle lots of commutes or errands. Or you can get a PHEV that gets a big percentage of miles in EV and uses gas for longer trips.

As we've discussed before, I don't think that's right. The cost differential between the EV and a conventional hybrid is too high for you to realistically make up the price differential, if you're just using it as a "second" car. You're just not going to put enough miles on it fast enough to recoup your upfront costs. That's absent subsidies, though - if someone else picks up a big chunk of the cost, then *any* vehicle can make sense. But that's not really a long-term model, since it means that adoption is generally limited to the volume of subsidies we're willing to grant.

Albaby
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us