The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/every-village-along-the-mediterranean-coast-has-30530845.aspx

Subject:  Re: Marinades for Olives?? Date:  2/7/2013  6:50 PM
Author:  Blackduff Number:  54962 of 56457

Every village along the Mediterranean Coast has markets selling olives fixed with crushed garlic. No refrigerations on anything. Most supermarkets have olives with this preparation "en vrac" (selling in buckets of these olives~you buy the amount you want). I buy and eat these olives since I arrived here twenty years ago.

I wanted to make some garlic tasted olive oil. My recipe needed to cook the garlic bulbs. In the US you can buy ceramic dishes to cook them in the oven. I used aluminum foil to create a "house" for the bulb and then cooked them. The cloves of the garlic become soft and sweet. It was easy to put into my olive oil.

Garlic is a root herb and can have more problems putting it into olive oil. Thyme, Rosemary, or some other herbs/spices can be put direct into the olive oils, without worrying about bacterial increase.

My olive oil is still good and it's supposed to be okay for three months. By that time they get a bit over the top and I should get rid of them. The olive oil prepared with the garlic becomes very strong at the end of three months.

For cooking uses, I try to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil but putting garlic into the oil, I only use basic Olive oil.

Nigella Lawson, the British chef, has a recipe for making linguine with the garlic olive oil. Yummmy!

Blackduff
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us