The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Why Not Take Gains in UTMA? Date:  2/7/2013  10:02 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117678 of 127987

I recently discovered that, for 2012, she can have up to $1900 in "unearned" income without paying taxes

Unlearn that. You're confusing two things: filing requirement (which implies having to pay tax) and the threshold for "kiddie" tax rates. For 2012 if a dependent has nothing but unearned income the standard deduction is $950. Beyond that tax is due.

See the 1040 instructions.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us