The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  1099c Date:  2/8/2013  8:38 AM
Author:  gsgreen Number:  117686 of 130203

OK, a little complicated, but...................
First, there was a short sale on an investment (rental) condo in Novemeber of 2012.
The lender issued a 1099c showing that there was a forgiveness of $97,000.00.
The recourse box was, properly, checked yes.
After running the insolvency worksheet, the individual is about $75,000.00 insolvent, leaving $22,000.00 of forgiveness as potentially taxable.
Can this balance of $22,000.00 be discharged on (the same)Form 982 as a Discharge of Real Property Business Indebtedness?

In other words, claim both the insolvency and the Discharge of Real Property Business Indebtedness on the same 982? It does say to check "boxes(s)" - plural in the first section of the form.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us