The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: simple tax question Date:  2/9/2013  2:58 PM
Author:  pwhitten Number:  117711 of 129252

This doesn't sound like a wash sale, I think it's 2 separate transactions.

Transactions that occur within an IRA account don't need to be reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Buy and sell all the stocks and bonds you want to in the IRA --- there are no capital gains or capital losses that need to be addressed. What does need to be addressed are sales resulting in a distribution out of a traditional IRA. When this happens, the IRA custodian records the distribution by sending you and the IRS a Form 1099-R to determine the taxes.

Read more: How to Report Sales in IRA Accounts | accounts.html#ixzz2KQxDZDty

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us