The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Health insurance rebate check Date:  2/11/2013  2:18 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  117724 of 133013

Because you deducted your prior year health insurance premiums as a self-employed person, I'd include this rebate as income on line 21 (other income). I'm sure it does not go on schedule C, as it was never deducted there.

From a bottom line perspective, you get exactly the same result if you include it on line 21 or if you deduct it from the current year premiums. I simply prefer the better disclosure to the IRS of the rebate by putting it on line 21.


PS - For lurkers, you get a somewhat different answer if you are not self employed. I'd still put it on line 21, but only to the extent you were able to deduct the premium on Schedule A in a prior year.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us