The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / My Dumbest Investment

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/dumb-investment-move-30539598.aspx

Subject:  dumb investment move Date:  2/13/2013  3:00 AM
Author:  bburr4307 Number:  3633 of 4431

I use to work in Manchester England a little over a decade ago and back then I thought I would dabble in the market a little. I had bought a company called BMC software and it had been pushing my sell price prety hard one week (got within a nickel if I recall). Well my work week ended & I jumped on a plane to go home and when I reached Houston I walked into a bar and looked up and the whole software sector had tanked in the time it took to fly home from Manchester. My stock had gone from over 50.00 that morning down to 22.00 by the time I reached IAH. I had put a sell limit on my upside price but not knowing much back then had not put a sell limit for a downside price. That stock never did get back to even 30.00. I think I got out at 27.00 about 6 months later. Luckily, I only lost about 1250.00 dollars but that was half of my account funds back then. It took me almost 10 years to get back to trying my hand at trading again.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us