The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: NQSO Date:  2/16/2013  9:00 PM
Author:  FlyingDiver Number:  117800 of 130717

The company further reports W2 income for such transactions, showing up in box 12 of the W2. Given that I did not sell the shares, there is only the gain reported as W2 income already. Therefore I don't need to report these on schedule D (until such time as I sell them). Correct?

Correct. The difference between FMV and the option strike price is ordinary income, and reported on your W-2. Now you own the stock with that FMV as the basis, and and gain/loss from that number when you sell will be on your Schedule D.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us