The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Filing for a minor Date:  2/18/2013  10:24 AM
Author:  KLTolly Number:  117815 of 132870

Hello -

Last year, we had to file a tax return for my son, as his income exceeded the threshold for claiming him as a dependent. (This was due to Social Security finally paying him multiple years of past-due benefits from his dad's account.) Now that his payments have normalized (he only received his 2012 benefits in calendar year 2012), can I resume filing the parental return, with him returning to a dependent status? He's just now turning 13, so there isn't much chance he'll have additional income over the SS benefits for the next few years.

Thanks in advance!

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us