The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Questions on form 1098-T Date:  3/3/2013  2:31 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117948 of 130408

My son received form 1098-T, in box 2 Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses showing the amount of $x,xxx, is this including tuition only or also including books expenses? in box 5 Scholarships or grants showing the amount of $x,xxx, how can I report these two number in the tax form 1098-T? My son is in his first year college and I am claiming him as dependent.

Ignore Box 2 and work from his school record of account. For information on how it all fits together see Pub 970. If there's any taxable income resulting from the scholarship it goes on your son's return. If there's any deduction or credit it goes on your return.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us