The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 1099/8949 vs Options vs Pub 550 Date:  3/8/2013  9:54 AM
Author:  b8meup Number:  117986 of 131263

Sorry I was not totally clear...

"Since your broker is providing nothing why would you contact them? If you have a "C" transaction to report you report it just like you always did before brokers' responsibilities were expanded (except now you report it on the 8949 rather than directly on the Schedule D)."

My broker provided me a document titled "Worksheet for Form 8949" which has sections for Short Term Box A, B and C plus the same for long term.

The stock in question, ABT, is shown as being sold in Part II, Long-Term, Box A as it should be. However I had sold calls on ABT which resulted in the actual sale. Those calls are listed in Part I, Short Term, Box C.

I can certainly adjust the sale price of ABT but then the number the broker reported to the IRS for LT Box A will not match my filing.

Does it make more sense now?

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us