The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Tax credit for tax paid to another state Date:  3/18/2013  1:48 PM
Author:  RBMunkin Number:  118080 of 130723

"The out-of-state tax credit, or credit for taxes paid to another state, may be allowed in cases where a Virginia resident is taxed on certain types of income received in another state, as a nonresident of that state. The credit applies only to income taxes paid to another state, and may not be claimed for income taxes paid to Arizona, California, Oregon, or the District of Columbia. "

This is true for California also. I'm trying to find out WHY though. Why does California allow for a tax credit for state tax paid to other states, but NOT for Oregon?

So if someone lives in California but makes income in Oregon from a house rental, what are they supposed to do?
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us