The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/although-the-appliance-like-reliability-of-the-30612996.aspx

Subject:  Re: Reality changes perceptions Date:  3/29/2013  10:55 AM
Author:  Fireballs Number:  11478 of 11875

Although the appliance-like reliability of the current automotive fleet is a genuine cause for celebration, it has one unfortunate side effect. Because working on cars is no longer common, very few gearheads are being created.

I have no desire to own another one, but I have come to appreciate the time that I owned a pair of Triumphs GT6es. It took two to make one of them run. I spent about the same amount of time working on them and driving them. They made driving a real adventure, and I grew to enjoy the absurdity of it. Every time that I actually got to where I was going, I felt like jumping out of the car, raising my arms, and yelling "Yes! I made it!"

These days, cars can be used as transportation appliances. How many motoring enthusiasts will be left when the age of the self-driving car dawns? That day is just around the corner.

Neil
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us