The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Uncooperative, Signature Date:  3/29/2013  3:33 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118199 of 129271

A clarification about your statement - I thought the filing status was irrevocable, but if I read your statement, it sounds like I can file separately and change it to joint later. I just can't file joint now and change it to separately later. Is that right?


If so, then that opens a solution. I'll file separately now, then immediately prepare an amendment to file jointly. If she signs that, great, and if she doesn't, I just throw it away, but at least my taxes are filed on time.

The extension route is better, paying the balance due with MFS with the extension. The reason this is better than the file and amend approach is that you'll get your refund a lot faster the other way if she does agree to sign a joint return.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us