The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Can I contribute to a Roth IRA? Date:  3/31/2013  7:12 PM
Author:  rochish Number:  118234 of 130715


Due to a job change, our family income for the year 2011 ended up being too high to contribute to a Roth IRA. However, we did not know this at the beginning of 2011 and had already contributed the max allowed to the Roth IRA (as we've been doing for years). Later, when we realized the mistake, we recharacterized the contributions to a traditional IRA in March 2012. The brokerage has sent us a form 5498 for the recharacterization in 2012.

In 2012, we contributed heavily to our employer sponsored retirement plans, and our MAGI ended up being low enough to contribute the max allowed to our Roth IRA accounts.

My question is: Can we contribute to the Roth IRA for the year 2012?

Thank you in advance for any insights.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us