The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Sch C necessary? Date:  4/1/2013  1:51 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118246 of 132549

If some worked for an individual and was paid outside of payroll for a short while, and received a 1099-MISC for that small amount, and then they switched to payroll and got a W2 from that person, is there anywhere they can report the 1099-MISC income besides Schedule C?

What else changed at the time of the transfer to treatment as an employee? If nothing did, it seems the worker should have been treated as an employee from the beginning. In that case there are two "correct" options:

1. Get the employer to withdraw the 1099 and issue a corrected W-2.
2. Report the payment on Form 8919.

If the worker was properly treated as an independent contractor there's no alternative to Schedule C (other than Schedule C-EZ). This is also the "incorrect" option for the earlier scenario.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us