The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Amended or "new" return Date:  4/4/2013  11:53 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118284 of 133139

So... can he just file another "new" return with a later filing date than the original return or will this create problems?

Actually this is the correct method before the original due date. Since it can't be filed electronically it has to be filed on paper, and when it tries to post it will bounce out to a human as a duplicate. By that time the data will have been transcribed, so it should be easy to resolve. In theory.

Returning to the rattleground of the mind, there's something in mine saying you should mark it "corrected" so the intervening human knows what happened. But I'm not sure about that.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us