The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-do-have-an-american-express-card-it-has-the-30626324.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit card problems Date:  4/7/2013  9:58 PM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  48834 of 124626

I do have an American Express card. It has the highest foreign transaction fee (2.7%) of any of my credit cards. It used to be 3%, but has been reduced recently. I have also visited places where no one accepted it. But I do carry it as my card of last resort.

It is interesting. I have a Discover card that until recently has been of no value at all outside the US. But for some reason, Discover rushed to get established in China back in 2007 and supposedly offers 0% foreign transaction fee there. I will see how widely it is actually accepted in a few weeks.

My credit union provides me with a Visa through Bank of America with a 1% foreign transaction fee. This card has caused me countless headaches and on more than one occasion has been closed on me during the middle of trips even though I called and notified them in advance of my travel plans. When I call about travel plans, they always act like everything is okay and that they know the dates and itinerary, but somehow, things still go wrong. I hate the card and the lousy service but I tend to use it first when I travel outside the US because of the low foreign transaction fee.

And I have a Visa card through AAA that I use primarily because of a 5% discount on gas purchases that is also administered by Bank of America but apparently through some competent part of the organization. I have to pay 2% foreign transaction fees, but it has been my most reliable card when traveling outside the US.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us