The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/im-having-a-hard-time-seeing-a-corner-30626644.aspx

Subject:  Re: Quite the Driver Date:  4/8/2013  9:09 AM
Author:  xtn Number:  11487 of 11873

I'm having a hard time seeing a corner, visualizing the racing line through it, and driving that line.

If anyone has suggestions on how to fix that particular problem, please let me know.

I certainly don't have your experience level. I see a corner and visualize a line through it pretty easily, but actually driving that line usually requires thirty or forty laps of fine tuning, most often including at least a couple reevaluations of what the line ought to look like in the first place. And if it's a pretty high speed turn, I sometimes don't have the balls to ever get it as right as I think I could do it.

I'm quite certain I couldn't be competitive at a new-to-me track that I only got twenty minutes of practice on. I'm assuming a good autocross driver is better able to feel out a fast line in a short amount of time. You're probably good at starting to pick out lines just from walking a track. I'm terrible at that. On foot, walking 1.5mph, it just feels like a big expanse of tarmac to me. It's only when approaching at speed that my mind can begin to see that imaginary arc. And the turns I can't see through before I get there take me a LONG time to figure out.

Using the example of Riverside in your video: I notice you're kind of just maintenance throttle around a bit of it. If braking a little later/less was beyond my confidence, I would have tried identifying my roll-it-on spot and started moving it back a bit each lap. It SEEMS to me that the guy in front of you was choking the exit the same way, and that it MIGHT have been a good opportunity to run past him on the outside at turnout. Not having your experience, it's hard for me to know if my mind would have been opened up enough to think about it, or if I would have had tunnel vision due to the workload you're obviously already under.

My only actual race experience is having done Lemons about ten times. And while it's a great boatload of fun, the actual driving more often than not tends to test your traffic negotiation skills instead of your line development. I mean getting a "clean" lap is pretty rare. But I think that's why I see your Riverside scenario as a possible passing opportunity. Having been trained via Lemons one tends to see lines less as an optimal solo route and more as a "how to sneak around that old lady in front of me without shunting either one of us" kind of route.

xtn
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us