The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  State Filing Extension Date:  4/10/2013  9:45 AM
Author:  khrushchv Number:  118353 of 131768

Quick question from a filer who is requesting that the IRS grant an extension to Jan-2014 for filing 2012 taxes. This is because I expect to qualify for the foreign income exclusion.

Before permanently moving abroad I lived in New York. Under NY rules I will need to file a part-year resident return for 2012. But NY is going to want my federal return. Thus, I can't do my NY taxes until I do my federal taxes. So the natural thing is to file an extension. But there doesn't appear to be an analogous form for NY...only an online site which doesn't fit my situation.

That said, NY's 2012 tax form has a "special condition code" for my situation. So, should I just not file in NY until 2014 (indicating said special condition code at the time)? Or, should I file a blank NY return now with the special condition code and then a completed form in 2014?

I'll probably call the NY tax authority today or tomorrow to sort this out but figured I would ping here first.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us