The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-would-say-you-have-a-34-bagger-the-stock-is-30677435.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bags? Bagger? Date:  5/10/2013  12:23 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  201611 of 256691

I would say you have a 3.4 bagger. The stock is up 3.4x. That's not your profit, as you imply.

What's the stock?

I would not really deal in bags. I would say it is up to 3.4x its initial price

GWR. It took more than a year to go up that much, though.

I haven't sold any BRK as I expect IV is arguably $200,000/A and growing.

I sold a few shares of BRK.B when I needed some cash to take an RMD, and that was needed to pay the tax on that. Not lately. I paid $32,600 per share for my BRK.A quite a while ago. Now a 5 bagger according to this definition of bags. Their price is a lot more now, but from some time in 1996 (I think it was) until now, the IRR is not as fantastic as it once was. If all goes well, I will never sell it, even if it makes sense to do it at some point. Well, I guess I would if Mr. Buffett seemed to be going senile and the board was too chicken to take away the keys.

So if I paid $26.28 for that GWR, and it was $13.14 now, it would be a half-bagger, not a -0.5 bagger, right? It would go negative only if I sold short and got squoze out, whereby I could lose more than my initial investment?
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us