The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Medicare Part B with a Year of High Income Date:  5/12/2013  2:02 PM
Author:  billjam Number:  18387 of 23025

My girlfriend just retired at age 67 1/2. She hasn't yet enrolled in Medicare Part B because her employer's insurance has covered her fully. As part of her seperation package they will continue to cover her for another 12 months. That means beginning June 2014 she will enroll in Medicare Part B. Due to her seperation package her income in 2013 will be unusually high - about $120K. Her 2012 income was about $95K. Both are going to get her hit with high Part B premiums.

Her income in 2014 and beyond will consist of social security and some investment income for a total of around $30K to $35K. Beginning in 2016 she'll have to take RMD which will add close to $20. But her future income will be nowhere near enough to trigger higher Part B premiums.

Is there any way she can get Medicare to recognize that her current income in 2014 is much lower than when she was working or is she stuck for a year or more paying higher premiums due to past income.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us