The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Using ETFs to get Foreign divs in IRAs Date:  6/8/2013  7:37 PM
Author:  gdett2 Number:  118661 of 132686


I have read through some of this confusing mess. Phil gave you some good, detailed answers. Here is the short version:

1. Taxes withheld from dividends paid to stock, mutual funds or ETFs held inside any type of tax-advantaged account, IRA/401k/403b/etc, are lost money to you. If you own an ETF, the ETF has the tax withheld and pays you the remainder.

2. If you hold these items in a taxable brokerage, you file for the tax credit on your US tax return.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us