The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: gift tax Date:  6/9/2013  8:39 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  118666 of 132878

But probably the simplest way for someone who doesn't have a large net worth is to use the "unified credit" - which lets you give away in life up to $1.7M, although it counts against what you can give away when you die - see form 709 as has already been suggested.
Where is the $1.7M coming from? The unified credit of $2,045,000 is the equivalent of a combined lifetime gift-estate exemption $5,250,000.

Other than that, I agree. Gifts over $14,000/yr to a done will require the filing of a gift tax return, but that's not such a big deal. You just use up some of the exempt amount.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us