The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/im-glad-you-had-a-good-weekend-congrats-things-30737364.aspx

Subject:  Re: First HPDE - Wow! Date:  6/17/2013  11:20 AM
Author:  Fireballs Number:  11548 of 11875

I'm glad you had a good weekend. Congrats!

Things happen slower, there's a bit less speed carried into each braking zone.

This is just a perception thing. You will get used to the pace of the action with more seat time. If you want to completely eliminate this as an issue, run a few autocrosses. The pace there will make race tracks feel like driving in slow motion.

No pendulum swing, no further drama.

Tire characteristics have a lot to do with that. One of the tire characteristics that I really appreciate, but is hard to find, is a tire that behaves the same way while entering and recovering from a slide. Most tires produce a very sudden increase in grip while recovering from a slide, which can snap the tail around in a flash. I hate that. The current generation of Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, in all variants, are quite good in this respect. I have burned up several sets of GS-D3, Asymmetric, and Supercar variants, and I really like all of them.

While the pedal felt solid, it took significantly more pressure than normal to slow the car.

That's pad fade. The other type of brake overheating is fluid boil. If that happens, the pedal goes spongy and travels farther than usual. The only fix for that is to bleed the calipers.

Neil
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us