The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Real-Money Stock Picks / Messed-Up Expectations Portfolio

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/hi-cog07-one-rental-agency-tried-to-do-that-to-me-30756172.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hertz Date:  6/29/2013  10:02 PM
Author:  TMFGebinr Number:  909 of 1287

Hi cog07,

One rental agency tried to do that to me several years ago. They said they didn't have the car I had rented in stock, so I'd have to upgrade. I told them that this was not my problem and that they were obliged to give me a car at the rate they had quoted, whether that was the original car or an upgrade. They caved and I got a Mustang convertible at the price of a compact (or whatever my original was).

If I were you, I'd try writing to the district manager or higher, explain how upset you were and your status as a long-standing Gold member, and insist upon a refund of the extra charges. If you have the original quotation to you, that's extra ammunition.

What they did to you was equivalent to a bait-and-switch and they're obligated to give you a car at the originally quoted rate. It's not your fault they didn't have any at that time.

While you may refuse to be a customer of Hertz in the future, it's not good investing to let one personal bad experience dictate your view of the merits of investing in the company. If you're a shareholder, that gives you extra ammo for your letter, too.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience and good luck with any pursuit of getting some money back.

Cheers,
Jim
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us