The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Value Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/welcome-to-the-boards-investing-can-be-a-bit-30761712.aspx

Subject:  Re: Newbie: researching companies reading list Date:  7/3/2013  9:07 PM
Author:  NechesInvst Number:  3788 of 3813

Welcome to the boards!

Investing can be a bit overwhelming--especially when you're first starting out. Some very good books have been listed, and I won't add to this list. They are wonderful resources.

Instead, I'm going to suggest one thing: When you're starting out, look into something you know. Warren Buffett didn't get caught up in the tech bubble, because he didn't invest loads into companies he couldn't understand.

Start with a company that you know, or that you have an interest in. It's taken me years to understand (and I still don't) bio-techs. You speak of nanotubes. That's WAY above my head.

I mean no disrespect by this: Keep It Simple. And, yes, it may seem boring at first. But as you investigate a company you know and understand (Home Depot, The GAP, Target, GE, FedEx, United Technologies, InBev...) your learning curve becomes less steep and you can begin delving into companies that are smaller, riskier and perhaps more complicated.

Just my two cents,

Mike
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us