The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Charitable deduction question Date:  7/30/2013  12:26 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118921 of 129658

But if you give over $500 (in total) in noncash items, you have to include Form 8283 with your return. And in my experience, this will NOT usually generate an audit, as long as you don't go overboard with things.

I agree. In 2001 I inherited 1.5 residences of stuff, much of which wound up donated. So much, in fact, that I wound up hitting the 50% of AGI limit and carrying some forward to the next year. Keep good records and deduct what you're entitled to deduct.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us