The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/are-all-solo-401ks-like-a-traditional-solo-30818328.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth 401K-brokers that allow individual stoc Date:  8/9/2013  11:35 AM
Author:  aj485 Number:  25098 of 26351

Are all Solo 401K's like a traditional?

Solo 401(k)s can be Roth or Traditional for the employee contribution. All employer contributions to a 401(k) are Traditional. You need to ask the broker what options they offer.

I know that I'm repeating some things I have stated but our Roth's were finally transferred out of Putnam's hands and they are at Sharebuilder doing nothing.

These are Roth IRAs, right? That's a completely separate issue from setting up a new Solo 401(k), either Roth or Traditional. If you don't like the options you have for investing at Sharebuilder, then you need to get them transferred to another broker. If you do like the options, then start investing.

I'm trying to make the right decision first, rather than a quick one and have to change it later.

401(k)s are separate from IRAs. While you should consider them as part of your overall portfolio, there's nothing that would require you to have your 401(k) account at the same broker that your IRA account is at.

Everything I know about all of this I learned in the past 3 months.

It sounds like you are fairly new to investing on your own. Why are you so set on investing only in individual stocks, and not willing to invest in mutual funds?

Between a Roth, Traditional, SEP, Simple and Solo, a Solo seems to have the most features that I'm looking for but I'm still not sure if it is like a Roth or a Traditional(regarding pre or post taxation).

You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

SEP-IRA, Simple IRA and Solo 401(k) are all different types of retirement plans that can be set up for small businesses (along with Keogh accounts).

Roth and Traditional are different types of tax treatments that IRAs and 401(k)s can have, not just those for small businesses. A solo 401(k) can be either Roth or Traditional for the employer contribution. All employer contributions to a 401(k) plan must be Traditional. Therefore, a 401(k) account can have both Roth and Traditional monies for the same individual.

401(k) accounts are separate from IRA accounts, even if they are both 'Roth' accounts or both 'Traditional' accounts. There are separate rules about contributions, contribution limits, distributions/withdrawals, penalties, withholding and protection from creditors. You can do rollovers between 401(k) accounts and IRA accounts, if you want to consolidate everything into one type of account. But in order to maximize your contribution, you probably need to keep multiple accounts, rather than trying to consolidate them all into one account.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us