The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Fools Against Depression

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-dont-know-about-celexa-specifically-but-most-30829108.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question about drug expiration Date:  8/16/2013  1:54 PM
Author:  ishtarastarte Number:  14931 of 15014

I don't know about Celexa specifically, but:

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

So the expiration date doesn't really indicate a point at which the medication is no longer effective or has become unsafe to use. Medical authorities state expired drugs are safe to take, even those that expired years ago. A rare exception to this may be tetracycline, but the report on this is controversial among researchers. It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin, and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years.
from http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

I know that vitamins will start to smell weird and may change color when they expire and that can be a problem. Obviously, ones that have to be refrigerated will really have an expiration date.

But after I read this study - unless I see degradation in the pills, change in color or strange smell, I don't worry about it.

Ishtar
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us