The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: overtax refund Date:  8/28/2013  5:54 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  119095 of 130962

I received a state tax refund from the prior year and included it in my 2011 income (line 10 on form 1040). The transcript did not include this income: it showed $0 on line 10.

Is the state tax refund taxable?

If you didn't itemize for the refund's tax year (tax year 2009?) or the deduction didn't matter because of AMT, the refund wouldn't be taxable.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us