The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/cath-i-dont-care-about-the-large-numbers-i-care-30871006.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hi gang... wow!!! Date:  9/14/2013  10:29 PM
Author:  Dwdonhoff Number:  72850 of 99742

Cath,

I don't care about the large numbers. I care only about what I get to keep within the risk I'm willing to take.
OK... so how, specifically, are you going to calculate and standardize for your own cyclical risks? The odds that *you* will be one of the random lucky who have the dark planets of bad luck line up & force you to incur unavoidable excessive expenses when your buy & hold positions are down 50%?

If, however, I were willing to gamble in the stock market (via the S&P), I'd probably end up with more to leave to my grandchildren.
You say "probably" but that is a mathematical term.
How will you standardize the probability, in order to determine which outperforms?

(Hint; That's what I have been showing how to do since yesterday.)

But I'm very risk averse, so I don't play the stock market without a guarantee, which the IUL gives me.
You sound like you are playing it to the safe side out of a gut emotional feel... and if you are going to err one way or the other, that's somewhat less risky in general.

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us