The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Roth IRA Recharacterization Date:  9/15/2013  7:37 AM
Author:  GWPotter Number:  119142 of 132102

I need to undo a Roth Conversion and one of the brokerage firms involved is unhelpful. The IRA accounts in question were at Schwab for years. On June 16, 2013 funds from a traditional IRA were converted to the Roth while the accounts were at Schwab. In July 2013 the accounts were transferred to Vanguard.

My situation exactly matches Example 1 on page 4 of Notice 2009-39

Vanguard says I must obtain a recharacterization from Schwab for the period the Roth funds were at Schwab, which is understandable. But the folks at Schwab promise action and do nothing.

Is there any legal or IRS requirement that the recharacterization information must come from Schwab? What I am considering is I collect the data for the period the funds were held at Schwab and fill out the Vanguard forms.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us