The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ive-followed-the-iul-threads-with-interest-what-30887511.aspx

Subject:  Re: Community Question Date:  9/25/2013  1:47 PM
Author:  SooozFool Number:  73306 of 99404

I've followed the IUL threads with interest.

What I've learned is that you will not win an argument with a financial products salesman.

I really appreciate the efforts of those who have spent time revealing the issues surrounding the purchase an IUL policy, however. It has been interesting.

My own takeaway is that an IUL policy involves the buyer trading away all of the upside to market volatility over the course of an investing lifetime, plus dividends, in exchange for a promise of guaranteed payments that can be reduced, or go away altogether, if the insurance company's investments don't hold up or the company goes under. The risk you won't get paid as promised may be small, but the risk you give up great gains because of the cap is not small. So personally, I wouldn't buy one of these policies.

BTW, I agree with those who find it indefensible to claim that you get the dividends back when the contract says you don't.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us