The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/-it-appears-that-a-2-month-supply-at-sams-30943626.aspx

Subject:  Re: interesting find Date:  10/27/2013  7:16 AM
Author:  Patzer Number:  307408 of 313032

. . . it appears that a 2 month supply at Sam's without any insurance is cheaper than 2 - 1 month co-pays with your insurance at Safeway (or wherever you are buying it) now.

I am a Sam's Club member. I have one monthly generic prescription, which I fill at the Sam's Club Pharmacy. I would not have to be a member to do this.

My copay for generic prescriptions is $10 for one month, or $25 for a three month mail order supply. The Sam's Club price is $4 for one month. I pay $4, don't hassle my doctor for a 90 day prescription, and ignore the nastygrams my insurance sends me about mandatory mail order for maintenance drugs.

The pharmacy associate never scans my membership card. She just scans the card hanging from her neck, presumably because it's faster and easier than asking for a membership card that isn't needed anyway.

I did recently buy into a trial Plus membership, which I will cancel. The savings over a regular membership don't pan out for me, and I don't get any savings on the $4 prescription.

Patzer
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us