The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/heck-ive-been-paying-for-my-own-health-30987453.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Theory On Retirement Life Date:  11/21/2013  5:33 PM
Author:  karenlj Number:  18800 of 21111

Heck --- I've been paying for my own health insurance since 1999. But I may have paid my last premium. Why should I pay for health insurance when I'm healthy? Since preexisting conditions no longer are a bar to getting health insurance under Obamacare, I can wait until I get sick before buying insurance.

Seattle Pioneer

Really not a good idea.

http://healthinsurance.about.com/od/reform/f/Why-Not-Wait-Un...

1. You can only buy health insurance through the Obamacare health insurance exchanges during open enrollment. Open enrollment is a period of time when everybody can buy health insurance. It usually lasts about a month and happens once a year.

2. Health insurance coverage doesn’t take effect the day you buy it. While the Affordable Care Act limits waiting periods before health insurance takes effect, it doesn’t totally do away with them. So, although you won’t have to wait six months for your health insurance to kick in, you won’t be covered immediately, either.

3. Most people don’t schedule their illnesses. Although some health problems can wait for a few weeks or months to be dealt with, others demand immediate attention. You may be able to delay dealing with nagging discomfort from knee arthritis, but you shouldn’t delay seeking treatment for a suspected heart attack.

Even if you’re one of the young invincibles, healthy people under the age of 30, bad things can still happen. What if you sliced your hand wide open when a wine glass broke as you were washing it? Stitches in an emergency room can be very expensive. What if you tripped over the cat while walking down stairs? A broken ankle can’t usually wait for treatment and might even require surgery.

Karen
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us