The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Risk

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/is-todays-real-risk-free-rate-negative-31030343.aspx

Subject:  Is todays real risk free rate negative? Date:  12/20/2013  4:00 AM
Author:  vacekt Number:  296 of 297

Hi, I might make a fool out of myself with this question, but whatever... as a member of fool.com I can afford that.

I am looking for someone to help me understand the risk free rate. I assume that a 10-year treasury note is a risk free rate. Today it's at around 2.9%. Lets assume that it makes sense to put my money in the risk free asset, a 10 year treasury. To make it more liquid, I decide to buy a 7-10year US treasury ETF. Looking at the performance of such ETF, I see that it is -7% this year, although the 10-year treasury went from 1.6% to 2.9% today (YTD).

Does that mean that last years real risk free rate (including inflation and ETF fees) was -7%? Or... please let me know what am I doing wrong? I would like to find out the mechanism of finding out today's real risk-free interest rate. Maybe a 7-10 year treasury ETF is not the right product...

Thanks,
Tom
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us