The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/billjam-writes-i-think-the-real-benefit-of-the-31062717.aspx

Subject:  Re: Balancing IRA vs. non-IRA Investments Date:  1/11/2014  9:44 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  74079 of 97960

billjam writes,

I think the real benefit of the IRA is allowing dividends and capital gains to compound tax-free all those years, at least for me. I'm not a day trader but I traded within my IRA without worrying about short term or long term. I had mutual fund dividends and capital gains I could reinvest without paying tax. I have a taxable brokerage account too but it never grew as fast as the IRA because I had to keep paying taxes on the income and cap gains. Compounding is a great thing. Compounding without annual taxes is a fabulous thing.

</snip>

Don't forget that you'll pay ordinary income tax rates on withdrawals from a traditional IRA. While a tax-efficient investment in a taxable account like Berkshire Hathaway would be taxed as capital gains. (0% tax on first $36,250 in gains for singles, $72,500 for a married couple).

intercst
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us