The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/when-facing-questions-of-filing-status-or-31146288.aspx

Subject:  Re: Qualifying child? Date:  3/2/2014  7:16 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  120320 of 129623

When facing questions of filing status or dependents I always go straight to Pub 501 since there are so many nuances. Starting on page 13 of that pub you'll find a thorough discussion of what constitutes a student for this purpose.

Thanks for the pointer. Having read that, I can see that because she was in school for 5 months in 2013, she qualifies as a student, and so I can take her as my dependent as she meets all of the tests for qualifying child. I guess it is the 5-month stipulation that handles that part about the year the child graduates, and that was the part I was missing.

Thanks for the quick help. I'll get her taxes done now as she will be getting back the bulk of what was withheld because she only worked a few months, and didn't make very much. Next year should be closer for her in terms of taxes owed and withheld.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us