The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: ACA surcharge Date:  3/5/2014  7:33 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  120363 of 132875

My former employer pays United Health Care for my medical insurance and for my prescription plan.

The only thing I dislike is that I must pay $12.10 a month from my Social Security for Prescription Drug coverage even though my former employer already pays for my prescription drug coverage. I called the IRS and they say I must pay that even though I do not have Medicare part D.

Don't expect good answers from the IRS, which has nothing to do with administering Medicare. You need to talk to Medicare. On cursory reading it looks to me like the only penalty if you don't pay the income-based premium surcharge is that you lose your Part D coverage, which you don't have in the first place.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us