The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Paying Back Student Loans

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/student-loan-repayment-study-abroad-issue-31150801.aspx

Subject:  Student Loan repayment study abroad issue Date:  3/5/2014  10:31 AM
Author:  adamkesher Number:  4811 of 4848

Hi everyone,

My sister is in a tough situation and I"m trying to help her figure it out and am having trouble making sense of it.

She has 2 Stafford unsubsidized loans at mygreatlakes.org that she hasn't started to have to pay yet. She is currently in a Master's program in Copenhagen, Denmark so she's had no USA income for the past year and change.

Now the loan company has come calling for her to start paying. She is not allowed to work more than 15 hours a week by Danish law until she completes her program so she doesn't have the means to make the minimum payments as they are right now, which is in the 350 dollar a month range at 6.8% interest.

I'm trying to figure out a way for her to consolidate her loans into one loan at a lower interest rate but I'm thinking the fact that she has no American income on paper will hurt her chances.

Does anyone have any idea how she could go about consolidating the loans either within mygreatlakes.org or elsewhere (private loan) or at the Federal level? She's lost, I'm lost, we're trying to find a solution.

She tried contacting them about not paying until she's finished studying, which the normal scenario would be, but they turned her down because they don't recognize her University (which is insane because the University of Copenhagen is considered one of the top 50-60 Universities in the world).

Does anybody have any advice on what she could do? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us