The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-wont-be-so-harsh-as-ray-on-leveraged-etfs-as-31151440.aspx

Subject:  Re: SSO for Long-Term ROTH Date:  3/5/2014  2:05 PM
Author:  Hawkwin Number:  74402 of 102460

I won't be so harsh as Ray on leveraged ETFs - as I use them to often with some effectiveness. I even use some long(er) term (though that is not typical).

For example, I have owned TQQQ (3x NASDAQ) off and on since 2011. It is up over 200% during the last three years (and up over 500% in the last four years). I would have been much better off today if I had never sold and instead held on during the occasional dips. My personal returns about half what TQQQ has done due to my occasional desire to sell it and rebuy it.

You will of course have it not mirror a true 2x the return (less performance on the upside and worse than 2x on the downside) due to both the fees and the daily repricing but I don't see anything terribly wrong with a large, diversified leveraged growth position. What I would stay away from are any leveraged short positions.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us